this meme is old but i dont care: A new tag game about “five things feminism has done for me” is going
around the net. The purpose of the game is to raise awareness against
federal conserative efforts of eliminating the status of women commission.
All you have to do is name five things feminism has done for you.
let me begin by saying that this project of feminism was formalized and codified by my mothers generation and all my generation has done is absorb it uncritically as a meaningless catchphrase. we suck.
so here are five things i may like about feminism initially but serve to establish how much we suck:
1. free birth control. if you happen to know any of them men ive had the occasion to boink, youll note that the world has been spared the belligerent and numerous superbreed that would have resulted if i was crossed with burly musclemen and science nerds. my brood would be singularly equipped for world domination, people.
yay for science and funding those people who improved the iud. now its the most popular birth control in the world (except in retarded ass north america where most girls i know who are on birth control are choosing the pill because they just want to take what everyone else is taking, theyre too fucking pathetic to just endure menstruation, and they uncritically accept that we live in a pill-popping culture.)
2. separating the men from the boys on the left: its popularly accepted that the left is a nice political home for feministas, but this is not the case. marx discussed economic class societies and exploring racial and gender inequality was also articulated as this type of critique as well. needless to say, the folk who resist, whether revolutionaries or incrementalists, have this stupid tendency to ignore or mock feminist issues because they characterize the movement as a way for hypereducated bourgeois daughters to stop thinking critically and just blindly accept oppressed status despite their privileged backgrounds. there is also criticism of the judith butler type feminist who engage in pedantic bullshit about 'performing gender' that only speaks to the proverbial hypereducated bourgeois daughter, which diverts academic resources from valuable emancipatory projects to this indulgent crap. also, we find criticism of the martha nussbaum incrementalism type feminism that relies on man-dominated electoral structures to advance its goals (which is apparently proof women are not oppressed since we can force men to listen to us).
so when some dude goes on and on about non-gender forms of oppression and how people need to be empowered and given a voice and how we cant decide for others and in the same breath decides for all women that feminism is now useless, this is your cue to lean back in your chair and silently scoff at the person who (probably hasnt been laid in yonks) refuses to accept that sometimes women see things that he does not and that he is not some fucking transcendental prophet who he can decide what women require.
3. stupid spoiled whores: women are hoes these days, and feminism approves. too bad that for every delectably skankalicious jewel of womankind who is out there half-naked performing gender and emasculating all the stupids who buy her drinks, there are 20 insecure little tarts who are hating on her skankpower (while dressed just as whorish) and throwing themselves at mates in vain hopes that such contact may result in marriage and personal validity.
its ok if men like us for being sexy but we should like it more than they do.
4. coochie wipes and other reasons women spend ridiculously more money on shit than men: while feminism has demonstrated what can be achieved by pushing for reform within the system, the failure of feminism to engender critical womanhood has kind of left women slaves to the market. we are so stupid and we spend so much money on shit and trinkets as a source of identity-affirmation, fun, and freedom and men are usually the ones being paid for this at the end of the day. this is why things like individually-wrapped moist towlettes attached to pads which help you get rid of your awful lady smells exist and individually-wrapped disenfectant q-tips for the dick do not. men dont get off on buying things to solve their problems the way we do.
the 'freedom' to express yourself through consumer goods (which makes you work more and subsidizes some rich wanks leisure) does not sit well with any definition of freedom worth my time.
5. as a kid i had a lot of female figures to look up to. maybe it was tokenism but there were women in charge, from people in my community to famous folk. there are groups of people who still lack representatives in the public sphere and that shit is just wrong. its evidence of my privilege and this age that i could go to the library in elementary school and see history books with female figures and content about female life. and yeah, i dont find jeanne sauvee and kim campbell inspiring anymore, but there is something to be said for going to the library, getting a book called 'prime ministers of canada' and finding at least one representative of my gender in there. yeah, its tokenism, but symbols can be powerful in their own limited way.
i thought this would be of note to all the parents out there. my sister was always into the slack now/pay later, quick fix method of education and was constantly pestering my parents to get her tutors. she found some great ones through word-of-mouth, and the endorsements were genuine as nobody was making commission on the transaction.
seriously, hiring grade 12 kids to pimp your seminar out to their classmates for commission?
so, ive returned to the vancouver. i cant say dick about shit,
because its been a week since ive read the news, or any of your lovely
blogs. ill brief myself tomorrow morning or something. sure, im on
the internet now, but im in an insomniac daze. i lost my new
book and i was only 1/8 through the damn thing, and i believe it is
being pissed off over this that has rendered me sleepless. that, or
this is a symptom of mezcal withdrawal.
i think i can handle a meme right now.
Four jobs you've had in your life: sunday school teacher, law firm coffee and copies bitch, drummer, esl/fsl tutor Four movies you could watch over and over: the conformist, full metal jacket, do you remember dolly bell, what have i done to deserve this
Four places you've lived: burnaby and ottawa. this is why i go on vacation, people.
Four TV shows you love to watch: trailer park boys, reno 911, south park, this space for rent
Four places you've been on vacation: italy, jamaica, spain, newfoundland
Four websites you visit daily: detached observer, politicaltheory.info, stageleft, bbc world news
Four of your favorite foods: is red wine a food? i like roasted seaweed, salmon donburi, green beans, and daal
Four places you'd rather be: berlin, pyongyang, boston, in mali waiting for the festival in the desert to start
Four albums you can't live without: aphex twin - come to daddy gogol bordello - multi kontra culti vs irony adriano celentano - le robe che ha detto celentano gustav mahler - death in venice
Four vehicles I've owned: transit or bust, bitches.
So, assuming this is how it works, I tag the following four people for this meme: I TAG YOU ALL!
i havent been blogging lately. i will list excuses/reasons
1. drinking and karaoke. wednesdays and saturdays at the legion on main and 23rd. 2. readings 3. gaming
DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
i love rosemary, sasha, brian, aija, and everyone else.
UPDATE: last night, philly c bought me multiple gin and tonics. i did not pay him for them at all. i also did not need said g&t's because i was already well soused thanks to the art of putting vodka and chaser in venti cups and drinking them on the bus with a "we're not yuppies, we're undercover winos" smirk on one's face. anyway, the point of this update wasnt to make me sound like more of an ass than previously established.
the point of this update is to declare, with the blogosphere as my witness, that i officially owe two pitchers of delicious bzzr at koerners pub to one philly c, reppin the ubc projects.
obviously im sharing the pitchers with you, hello.